Chickamauga in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
2nd Georgia Cavalry
—Wharton's Division —
Lieutenant Colonel F.M. Ison.
5:30 P.M. September 20, 1863.
Erected 1898 by the State of Georgia. (Marker Number MT-1279.)
Location. 34° 52.278′ N, 85° 17.539′ W. Marker is in Chickamauga, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Cove Road (Georgia Route 341) south of Gordon Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. This historical monument is located in the downtown area, in front of the Elizabeth Lee United Methodist Church Offices. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 3rd Georgia Cavalry (a few steps from this marker); 4th Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp George H. Thomas (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town of Lytle (within shouting distance of this marker); 3rd Confederate Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Sickness at Camp Thomas (within North and South Reunited (within shouting distance of this marker); Crawfish Spring (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chickamauga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “A rock-faced, peaked-top granite slab, 4'6" wide x 6' high x 1'8" thick, that carries an inscription, with a horseshoe carved in relief above it. Marks unit's position on September 20, 1863, at 5:30 p.m.”
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on April 23, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 254 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 27, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.