Fort Story in Virginia Beach, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
First Public Works Project of the United States Government
President George Washington personally reviewed bids in January, 1791 and chose John McCombs, a New York Bricklayer, as contractor.
Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton, and the contractor signed the contract on March 31, 1791.
Construction on the $17,700 project started August 1, 1791.
The lighthouse began its 100 years of service in the fall of 1792.
Commemorated this 28th day of August, 1981 by the Public Works Historical Society and Virginia-D.C.-Maryland Chapter American Public Works Association
Erected 1981 by Public Works Historical Society and Virginia-D.C.-Maryland Chapter American Public Works Association.
Location. 36° 55.544′ N, 76° 0.482′ W. Marker is in Fort Story, Virginia, in Virginia Beach. Marker is on Atlantic Avenue near Cape Henry Road. Touch for map. Located within Joint Expeditionary Base East, formerly Fort Story. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia Beach VA 23459, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of Cape Henry Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); First Landing Old Cape Henry Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); British Naval Blockade and Cape Henry Lighthouse / The War of 1812 (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Story (within shouting distance of this marker); Cape Henry Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); François Joseph Paul de Grasse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of the Capes (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Story.
Also see . . . Public Works Historical Society. "The lighthouse stands today as a historical monument not only to our nation's heritage, but also to the timelessness of public works." (Submitted on September 30, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Labor Unions • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 30, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 568 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 30, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.