Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Ansbach District, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
 

Granary/Jewish Cemetery

Schrannenplatz/Judenkirchhof

 

—(ca 1339 - 1520) —

 
Granary/Jewish Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 28, 2013
1. Granary/Jewish Cemetery Marker
Inscription.
Der „Judenkirchhof” war der Bestattungsplatz der jüdischen Einwohner und lag ursprünglich außerhalb der ersten Stadtmauer.
Bereits seit 1339 bezeichnete man den Platz als „coemeterium Judaeorum” (Begräbnisplatz der Juden).
In der Nähe wurde 1406/07 eine neue Synagoge gebaut.
Die judenfeindliche Hetze des Predigers Johann Teuschlein brachte den Stadtrat 1519 dazu, die Juden aus Rothenburg zu vertreiben. Daraufhin plünderte die Bevölkerung die Synagoge.
Sie wurde in eine Kapelle „Zur reinen Maria” umgewandelt und 1561 abgebrochen.
Ab 1520 nutzte man den Platz als christlichen Friedhof.
Bei seiner Erweiterung 1532/33 entfernten christliche Arbeiter die Gebeine aus den jüdischen Gräbern und brachten sie an einen heute unbekannten Ort.
Bei Tiefbauarbeiten im Jahr 1914 fand man am „Judenkirchhof” 33 mittelalterliche Grabsteine (1266-1395). Sie befinden sich heute im Reichstadtmuseum, im „Rabbi-Meir-Gärtchen” am Weißen Turm und im judischen Museum Franken in Fürth.
Erst 1958 wurde der „Judenkirchhof” in „Schrannenplatz” umbenannt.
————————
The "Judenkirchhof", the Jewish cemetery was the Jewish citizens' burial ground and was originally situated outside the first town wall, (the present wall
Granary and Jewish Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 28, 2013
2. Granary and Jewish Cemetery Marker
being the second one)
.
Already in 1339 this site was known as the 'coemeterium Judaeorum' (the burial ground of the Jews). In 1406-07 a new synagogue was built close by.
In 1519 the Jew-baiting campaign of preacher Johann Teuschlein caused consequently the town's council to evict its Jews from Rothenburg and the population looted the synagogue. It was turned into a chapel, dedicated to the 'Pure Virgin Mary' and pulled down in 1561.
From 1520 the site was used as a Christian cemetery. In 1532/33 it was enlarged, with the bones being removed from the Jewish tombs by Christian workers to an unknown site.
In 1914, when underground engineering work led to the grounds being opened up again, 33 medieval Jewish tombstones, dating from 1266-1395, were discovered. Today they are either at the Reichsstadtmuseum, in the surrounding wall of the Rabbi-Meir-Garden next to the White Tower, or in the Jewish Museum of Franconia in Fürth.
However, it was only in 1958 that the 'Judenkirchhof' was renamed 'Schrannenplatz'.
 
Erected by City of Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
 
Location. 49° 22.752′ N, 10° 10.733′ E. Marker is in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Bavaria, in Ansbach District. Marker is on Schrannenplatz just south of Fuchsengäßchen, on the right
Engraved Stone Marker on Granary Wall image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 28, 2013
3. Engraved Stone Marker on Granary Wall
when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Bavaria 91541, Germany.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schrannenscheune / Grain Storage Barn (a few steps from this marker); Jews's Alley and Jewish Quarter (within shouting distance of this marker); Rabbi Meir ben Baruch von Rothenburg (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); St. Jakob's Church World War I Memorial (about 180 meters away); Altes Rathaus / Old Town Hall (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Büttelhaus / Bailiff's House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Rothenburg o.d.T.'s Jewish History. (Submitted on October 4, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. (Submitted on October 4, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Rabbi Meir of Rothenburg. (Submitted on October 4, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. Reichstadtmuseum, Rothenburg o.d. Tauber. (Submitted on October 4, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. AgricultureCemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
Looking North from Granary/Jewish Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 28, 2013
4. Looking North from Granary/Jewish Cemetery Marker
Schrannenplatz on right and city wall in distance
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 387 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 4, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement