Spiro in Le Flore County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Established June 16, 1834, by 7th Inf., and named in honor of Gen. John Coffee of Tennessee. Abandoned by U.S. Army in November 1838. In 1842 site selected by Choctaw Council and established as Ft. Coffee Academy for Boys. During Civil War buildings used as barracks by Confederate forces. In Oct. 1863 captured by Federal troops and principal buildings burned.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 192.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society marker series.
Location. 35° 14.429′ N, 94° 35.722′ W. Marker is in Spiro, Oklahoma, in Le Flore County. Marker is on State Highway 9 0.2 miles west of Daisy Lane (County Route N4735), on the right when traveling east. Actual location of Fort Coffee is approximately 5.5 miles north of the marker along the Arkansas River on private property. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2001 E Broadway St, Spiro OK 74959, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Choctaw Agency (here, next to this marker); Skullyville Skullyville (approx. 0.7 miles away); Battle of Backbone Mountain (approx. 6.4 miles away); William O. Darby (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas); A National Cemetery System (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas); Confederate Burials in the National Cemetery (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas); Fort Smith National Cemetery (approx. 13.7 miles away in Arkansas). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spiro.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Fort Coffee.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 11, 2014, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?