Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House
The present structure, known as the Old Yellow Meeting House was built in 1730s and is traditionally dared from 1737. The meetinghouse is the oldest existing Baptist church in New Jersey. Built on exact compass settings, the gable ends face east and west, thereby providing a long southern exposure for heat and light.
Originally part of the Baptist Church in Middletown, 47 founding members of the meetinghouse secured their release in 1766 and were formally organized as an independent church. The congregation was known as the Crosswicks Baptist Church until 1773, and thereafter, as The Upper Freehold Baptist Church. In 1855 the Upper Freehold Baptists acquired their present site in Imlaystown, which gradually became the center of church life. Activity decreased at the Old Yellow Meeting House and it has not been in regular use since the late 1800s, except for special occasions and annual reunions.
(Inscription under the drawing in the center)
The restoration of the meetinghouse was completed in 1991 by
Location. 40° 10.2′ N, 74° 28.416′ W. Marker is in Imlaystown, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Yellow Meeting House Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Imlaystown NJ 08526, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House-The Parsonage and Baptist Ministry (within shouting distance of this marker); Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House-The Cemetery and Grounds (within shouting distance of this marker); Ye Olde Robbins Burial Place (approx. 1.4 miles away); Borough of Roosevelt (approx. 3.3 miles away); Historic Walnford Park (approx. 5.1 miles away); Historic Walnford (approx. 5.1 miles away); Walnford’s Tenant Houses (approx. 5.1 miles away); U.S. Army Parachute Test Platoon (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Imlaystown.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 7, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.