Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chattahoochee in Gadsden County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Nicolls’ Outpost

 
 
Nicolls' Outpost Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
1. Nicolls' Outpost Marker
Inscription. Atop this large prehistoric mound stood Nicolls' Outpost, a British fort of the War of 1812. Built in the fall of 1814, it was a rectangular earthen redoubt with a surrounding stockade and was armed with two small cannons. Garrisoned by 180 white and black Royal Colonial Marines, the outpost was named for Bvt. Lt. Col. Edward Nicolls, a noted British officer of the early 19th century. Nicolls was assigned the task of forming a battalion of Royal Colonial Marines by enlisting and training both free blacks and liberated slaves from Spanish Florida and the United States. He was also ordered to supply a large fighting force of Red Stick Creek and Seminole Indians. The outpost provided protection for Nicolls' main base at today's Fort Gadsden Historic Site in the Apalachicola National Forest. It was to serve as a launching point for a planned invasion of Georgia and more than 500 Creek and Seminole Indians gathered here in February 1815. They were preparing to attack when news arrived of the end of the War of 1812. A major council of chiefs met here in March to appeal for continued British support, but Nicolls' Outpost was abandoned soon after.
 
Erected 2014 by the West Gadsden Historical Society, Chattahoochee Main Street, City of Chattahoochee.
 
Location.
Nicolls' Outpost was atop this Indian mound image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
2. Nicolls' Outpost was atop this Indian mound
30° 42.046′ N, 84° 51.402′ W. Marker is in Chattahoochee, Florida, in Gadsden County. Marker is on South River Landing Road half a mile south of West Washington Street (U.S. 90), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 South River Landing Road, Chattahoochee FL 32324, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Ellicott's Observatory (approx. 0.4 miles away); Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 1.2 miles away); United States Arsenal (1832-1861) (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 1.5 miles away); Sneads (approx. 4.1 miles away); Sabacola El Menor (approx. 7.4 miles away in Georgia); Joshua Davis House (approx. 8 miles away); Camp Recovery (approx. 8.2 miles away in Georgia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattahoochee.
 
Also see . . .  Explore Southern History article. (Submitted on December 7, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. African AmericansForts, CastlesNative AmericansWar of 1812
 
Nearby Highway 90 Bridge above Apalachicola River. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
3. Nearby Highway 90 Bridge above Apalachicola River.
Sign noting use of mound that was underneath the fort. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
4. Sign noting use of mound that was underneath the fort.
This is the last of seven Indian mounds built in the Fort Walton period (1450-1650 AD). They were residential mounds not burial or ceremonial mounds.
Nearby city park. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
5. Nearby city park.
Sir Edward Nicolls of the Royal Marines (circa 1855) image. Click for full size.
By Public Domain
6. Sir Edward Nicolls of the Royal Marines (circa 1855)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 7, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement