Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Mission San Luis

 
 
Mission San Luis Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 7, 2014
1. Mission San Luis Marker
Inscription. Mission San Luis de Talimali was among the largest and most important missions in Spanish Florida. Its parishioners were Apalachee Indians who were descendents of those people whose village Hernando de Soto appropriated during the winter of 1539-1540. The Apalachees were the most culturally advanced of Florida's native peoples, and Mission San Luis was one of the first missions established by Franciscan friars in their efforts to serve the Apalachees' major villages that spread across the highlands of Leon and Jefferson Counties. The mission was moved to this location in 1656 and was recognized as the western capital of Spanish Florida. Mission San Luis was home to more than 1,500 Apalachees as well as a Spanish deputy governor, soldiers, friars, and civilians. The site was burned and abandoned by its residents in 1704 just two days before an Anglo-Creek strike force reached it. Mission San Luis was never repopulated by Spanish colonists or Apalachee Indians, who had lived in the region for centuries. Recognizing its historical and archaeological significance, the State of Florida purchased Mission San Luis in 1983. Today, it is managed by the Florida Department of State's Division of Historical Resources.
A Florida Heritage Landmark

 
Erected 2001 by the Dominie
Mission San Luis (West side) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 7, 2014
2. Mission San Luis (West side)
Everardus Bogardus Chapter National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-452.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 30° 26.916′ N, 84° 19.231′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Tennessee Street and Mission Road. Touch for map. Located to the west of the Mission near the large parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2020 Mission Road, Tallahassee FL 32304, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dale Mabry Field (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Florida State University Campus (approx. 1.8 miles away); Prince And Princess Murat (approx. 2.1 miles away); Major General David Lang (approx. 2.1 miles away); Jacksonville, Pensacola and Mobile Railroad Company Freight Depot (approx. 2.1 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Trinity United Methodist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
 
Also see . . .  Mission San Luis website. (Submitted on December 10, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Mission San Luis (East side) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 7, 2014
3. Mission San Luis (East side)

 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
Mission San Luis entrance off West Tennessee Street image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 7, 2014
4. Mission San Luis entrance off West Tennessee Street
Mission San Luis current use image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 7, 2014
5. Mission San Luis current use
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 10, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement