Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
By the 1860s, Salado developed a thriving economy based on farming, ranching, milling, mineral baths and education. Salado College opened in 1860, attracting many individuals to the growing community. Additional schools were built, including Thomas Arnold High School, which was established by Dr. Samuel Jones, and a school on land donated by W.K. Hamblen, which closed in 1969 and became a community center. In 1873, the First Texas Branch of the Grange, a national fraternal agrarian order, opened in Salado. Salado hosted Bell County's first agricultural fair that same year; the fair moved to Belton in 1876. By the 1890s, several churches had also organized in Salado.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15828.)
Location. 30° 56.594′ N, 97° 32.244′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (County Route 2268) and Royal Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Street Bridges (here, next to this marker); Salado Creek (here, next to this marker); Stagecoach Inn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Thomas Arnold High School (about 500 feet away); The Davis Mill (about 500 feet away); Louisa Adeline (Addie) Barton First Baptist Church of Salado (about 500 feet away); Home of Orville Thomas Tyler (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 27, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.