Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Martinsburg in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

White’s Ford

 
 
White’s Ford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 4, 2006
1. White’s Ford Marker
Inscription. About 2 miles northwest was White’s Ford. This Potomac crossing was used by Gen. R. E. Lee entering Maryland in September, 1862, and Generals J.E.B. Stuart and Jubal A. Early returning to Virginia in 1862 and 1864, respectively.
 
Erected by the Maryland Civil War Centennial Commission.
 
Location. 39° 9.849′ N, 77° 28.535′ W. Marker is in Martinsburg, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Whites Ferry Road (Maryland Route 107) and Martinsburg Road, on the left when traveling west on Whites Ferry Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dickerson MD 20842, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Warren Historic Site (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Crosses At White's Ford (approx. 1.7 miles away in Virginia); a different marker also named White's Ford (approx. 1.7 miles away); Lee Crosses Into Maryland (approx. 1.7 miles away in Virginia); a different marker also named White’s Ford (approx. 2.1 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker points towards Martinsburg Road. There is parking at where White’s Ford used to be at the Dickerson
The Abandoned C&O Canal at White's Ford image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 4, 2006
2. The Abandoned C&O Canal at White's Ford
Conservation Park 2 miles up on Martinsburg Road, where another marker awaits.
 
Regarding White’s Ford. White’s Ford, an obscure crossing before the Civil War, was named after Captain Elijah Viers White, a Confederate cavalry officer and leader of the cavalry battalion known as the Comanches. His farm was on the Virginia side of the ford. He purchased and ran White’s Ferry after the war.
 
Also see . . .
1. Elijah Viers White, leader of the “Comanches”. (Submitted on January 13, 2007.)
2. White's Ford - Maryland Civil War Trails Marker. (Submitted on June 30, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
White’s Ford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 29, 2007
3. White’s Ford Marker
The Civil War Trails sign directs the traveler down the Martinsburg Road to the Dickerson Conservation Area, where the site of White's Ford is marked by a Maryland Civil War Marker. (See link 2)
Looking Down River in the Vicinity of White's Ford image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, June 29, 2007
4. Looking Down River in the Vicinity of White's Ford
Here the men of Gens. Longstreet and Stuart crossed the Potomac into Maryland in September 1862. Gen. Jubal Early would also use this fording site when retiring from his 1864 raid to Washington, D.C.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,251 times since then and 109 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   3. submitted on June 30, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on June 29, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement