Near Dundee in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Bouquet Expedition - Camp 14 / Henry Bouquet 1719-1765
The Bouquet Expedition - Camp 14
Desperately trying to protect their homeland, the Delaware Indian Nation who lived here in the Tuscarawas Valley, joined the French against the English during the French and Indian War, 1754-1763. After the French defeat, the Delawares, dissatisfied with the treaty terms, joined an Indian Confederacy to attack the English in early 1763. Known as Pontiac's Rebellion, the uprising was lead by Ottawa chief Pontiac. In response, the English commander, General Jeffrey Amherst, ordered Colonel Henry Bouquet to mount a 1,500-man expedition to subdue the Confederacy in Ohio. The Army arrived at this location on October 13, 1764. The camp, known as Camp 14, was located in this valley between the two small streams on the side of the hill. Proceeding on to the Delaware town of modern-day Coshocton, Bouquet negotiated a surrender with the Delaware, Shawnee, and Wyandot who then relinquished over two hundred white prisoners.
Henry Bouquet 1719-1765
Henry Bouquet was born in 1719 at Rolle, Canton Vaud, Switzerland. Fluent in English he immigrated to America in the spring of 1756 to assist the English during the French and Indian War. He was promoted to full colonel in 1758, and served as second in command under Brigadier General John Forbes. Bouquet
Erected 1998 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Tuscarawas County Historical Society, Rosenberry Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-79.)
Location. 40° 33.157′ N, 81° 34.247′ W. Marker is near Dundee, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker is at the intersection of Winklepleck Road (County Route 73) and Ohio Route 516, on the right when traveling east on Winklepleck Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dundee OH 44624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flame of Freedom (approx. 5.2 miles away); History of Shanesville (approx. 5.2 miles away); W. W. Scott, 1891 (approx. 5.4 miles away); Dover Concert Band, 1924 (approx. 5.4 miles away); Christian Deardorff (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Ohio and Erie Canal / Canal Dover Toll House (approx. 5½ miles away); Camp Meigs (approx. 5.8 miles away); Jeremiah E. Reeves / The J.E. Reeves Victorian Home (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 16, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 5. submitted on October 26, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.