Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Built ca. 1835. Military headquarters of Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton, who commanded the Confederate forces during the siege of Vicksburg. Here on July 3, 1863, the decision was made to surrender the city.
Erected 1973 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 32° 20.911′ N, 90° 52.675′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is on Crawford Street west of Adams Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1018 Crawford St, Vicksburg MS 39180, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Debate and Decision (a few steps from this marker); Balfour House (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Natchez District (approx. ¼ mile away); South Central Bell (approx. ¼ mile away); Vicksburg (approx. ¼ mile away); Mississippi Dental Association (approx. ¼ mile away); Willie Dixon (approx. 0.3 miles away); Planters' Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vicksburg.
Also see . . . Pemberton's Headquarters (Submitted on August 21, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2015, by William Bruce of Madison, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2015, by William Bruce of Madison, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.