Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Spanish Translation Marker
Erected by Tucson - Pima County Historical Commission and Arizona Historical Society.
Location. 32° Touch for map. The Marker is inside Fort Lowell Park at the east end of the Cottonwood Lane. Fort Lowell is on North Craycroft Road just north of Glenn Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2900 North Craycroft Road, Tucson AZ 85712, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cottonwood Lane (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Lowell (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Lowell 1873-1891 / Post Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Infantry Barracks / Laundresses' Quarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Fort Lowell Flagstaff (about 400 feet away); Officers' Quarters (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
Also see . . . Fort Lowell. Tucson was a small dusty town, and among the enterprising inhabitants were some fairly rough characters such as miners, other seekers after fortunes, prostitutes, and camp followers. There was disorder and drunkenness. The commanding officer, Captain W. Henry (Submitted on January 4, 2010.)
1. Fort Lowell (1860 - 1891)
The Spanish established a Presidio (fortified camp} in Tucson about 1776 and remained until 1829. Mexican soldiers garrisoned the walled town until General Philip Cooke's Mormon Battalion arrived in 1846; after negotiations, the Mexicans departed. In 1860 the Camp Tucson was established on the present site of the Armory Park in Tucson. The fort was evacuated at the outbreak of the Civil War. The Confederate constitutional convention declared this section of Arizona no longer a part of the US in March 1861. Confederate forces made this Camp their headquarters once they occupied Tucson. Tucson returned to Union control when the California Volunteers pitched camp on the east side of town a year later.
Post was too weak to be continued and was abandoned on September 15, 1864. The post was relocated at the Military Plaza and as renamed Camp Lowell in honor of Brig. Gen. Charls R. Lowell of the 6th Calvary, who was killed at Cedar Creek, Virginia during
— Submitted January 4, 2010.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,840 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on May 6, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 5, 6. submitted on January 4, 2010. 7. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.