Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Elizario in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old County Jail

 
 
Old County Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, May 30, 2015
1. Old County Jail Marker
Inscription. This structure was built about 1850 of adobe bricks (sundried mud and reeds) and cottonwood logs around steel cell blocks. It served as official county jail 1850-66 and 1868-73, when San Elizario was the first and then third El Paso County seat. It housed both jail (“carcel” in Spanish) and courtroom (“juzgado”). According to legend, William Bonney, famed outlaw Billy the Kid, freed the only man ever to escape from this jail, his cohort Melquiades Segura.
 
Erected 1970 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14760.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
 
Location. 31° 35.153′ N, 106° 16.458′ W. Marker is in San Elizario, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Alarcon Road, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1591 Main Street, San Elizario TX 79849, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Elizario Chapel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Los Portales (about 400 feet away); Salt War (about 400 feet
Old County Jail image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, May 30, 2015
2. Old County Jail
away); San Elizario (about 400 feet away); The Camino Real (about 400 feet away); The First Thanksgiving (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Salt War (about 500 feet away); Rodriguez-Chamuscado Expedition - 1581 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Elizario.
 
Categories. Hispanic AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement