Belleville in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
and erected the first steam (“Fire”)
engine in this country.
The Newcomen Society
April 24, 1929
Erected 1929 by The Newcomen Society.
Location. 40° 47.202′ N, 74° 8.973′ W. Marker is in Belleville, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Rutgers Street (New Jersey Route 7) and Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in the cemetery of the Dutch Reformed Church. Marker is in this post office area: Belleville NJ 07109, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Belleville Reformed Church Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); School Number One (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dutch Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rutgers Bridge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Belleville First Fire House (about 400 feet away); LCpl Osbrany Montes De Oca Bridge (about 700 feet away); Route 7 Bridge (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belleville.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 4, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.