The New Deal In Your Community
The Boulevard served as part of the James River & Kanawha Turnpike and is currently part of the Midland Trail National Scenic Byway. In the late 1930s, the Boulevard was modified into a four-lane highway by the Public Works Administration (PWA).
The PWA was formed by the National Industrial Recovery Act on June 16, 1933 as a New Deal program to help the country climb out of the Great Depression. The PWA was signed into legislation during Franklin Delano Roosevelt's first 100 days in office to fund large-scale construction projects to provide employment, stabilize purchasing power, improve public welfare, and revive American industry.
The short lived PWA (1933-1941) is often confused with the better known Works Progress Administration (WPA which was created two years after the PWA to fund smaller construction projects throughout the country.
Kanawha Boulevard and its contributing elements are eligible for the National Register of Historic Places due to their association with the PWA. The contributing elements include the original stone
Design details from the original 1938 PWA plans fro the stone steps and drainage outlets.
Stone steps and drainage outlets prior to removal as part of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Section 14 Emergency Streambank and Shoreline Protection Project.
Stone slope treatment and drainage outlet completed in 2014 through a partnership between the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the City of Charleston.
Location. 38° 20.11′ N, 81° 36.683′ W. Marker is in Charleston, West Virginia, in Kanawha County. Marker is on Kanawha
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas J. Jackson (within shouting distance of this marker); State Capitol (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Booker Taliaferro Washington (about 400 feet away); Abraham Lincoln Walks At Midnight (about 400 feet away); West Virginia Home Guards (about 700 feet away); Union Civil War Monument (about 800 feet away); Executive Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); "The West Virginia Coal Miner" (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
1. additional information
The metal plaques near the stones along the path connect the marker to the stones themselves. I suggested this while we were working on the final wording of the intrepretative sign and thought the stones needed to be identified to the historical PWA project.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 9, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.