Mooresville in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Cottonport / Mooresville
The town of Cottonport flourished in the early years of Limestone County. It was settled in 1818 and chartered in 1824. It was located approx. 1½ miles S.E. near the point where Limestone Creek flowed into the Tennessee River and was a prime boat landing. Steamboats from E. Tennessee brought much needed goods to this area. During high water, flatboats loaded with bales of cotton departing Cottonport, could cross the river's rocky shoals and float to New Orleans.
Cottonport once boasting a town square, handsome houses, brick stores, warehouses, and a racetrack, gradually ceased to exist.
Residents left, fleeing Malaria epidemics common to the location. By the 1850's no trace of it remained. The long forgotten town cemetery was unearthed by construction of I-65.
Incorporated November 16, 1818
This quiet village was once a bustling town with doctors, lawyers, business houses, craftsmen and shops, including a tailor shop where a future president, Andrew Johnson apprenticed for a time. Named for an early setter, Mooresville was the first town incorporated by the Alabama Territorial Legislature.
The buildings exhibit the various architectural styles of the 19th century. The 1840's Post Office is the oldest in continual use in Alabama.
The Disney movie "Tom and Huck" was filmed here in 1995.
The entire village is listed on the National Register of Historic places.
Erected by Limestone County Historical Society Athens/Limestone Tourism Council 2003.
Location. 34° 37.658′ N, 86° 52.802′ W. Marker is in Mooresville, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Highway 20 and Mooresville Road on Old Highway 20. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mooresville AL 35649, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mooresville (here, next to this marker); Mooresville, Alabama / Mooresville Stagecoach Inn and Tavern (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mooresville Brick Church/The Cumberland Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Belle Mina / Woodside (approx. 1.2 miles away); Druid's Grove Plantation / Jones-Donnell Cemetery (approx. 3½ miles away); Southeast Air Forces Training Center (approx. 4.2 miles away); Oakland United Methodist Church (approx. 4½ miles away); Gen. N.B. Forrest, C.S.A. (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mooresville.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,730 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on July 14, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1. submitted on March 4, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 2. submitted on March 6, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 29, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.