Fort Hunter History
*Around 1750 Samuel Hunter married the widow Catherine Chambers and settled here to run her gristmill.
*The Fort at Hunterís Mill or Fort Hunter was built here in 1755 by the British to protect settlers from Indian attacks. The Fort was later abandoned.
*Captain Archibald McAllister (1756-1831) purchased the land of the old mill and old fort in 1787. Over the years he made many improvements to his plantation including the Tavern House, Stone Stables, ice houses, spring house and Mansion House.
*Captain John McAllister (1790-1866) bought his fatherís estate in 1833. He was actively involved in the construction and operation of the Pennsylvania Canal which traveled through this property on its way to Pittsburgh.
* Daniel Dick Boas (1816-1878) bought Fort Hunter in 1870 for use as a gentlemanís farm and as a summer home. He renovated many of the buildings and built the large dairy barn.
*Helen Boas Reily (1861-1932) and John Reily (1860-1927) lived on her fatherís estate from their marriage in 1887 until their deaths. They increased the original acreage from 150 to 1500 and were well known and liked in the Harrisburg area.
*Mrs. Reilyís niece, Margaret Wister Meigs (1882-1958) of Philadelphia and Washington DC inherited
* The four children of Margaret Wister Meigs generously donated the property to the citizens of Dauphin County in 1980. The Fort Hunter District is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Dauphin County.
Location. 40° 20.516′ N, 76° 54.585′ W. Marker is in Dauphin, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on River Road. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of Fort Hunter Park. Marker is in this post office area: Dauphin PA 17018, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slavery at Fort Hunter (a few steps from this marker); United States Slavery (within shouting distance of this marker); Pennsylvania Slavery (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Hunter (within shouting distance of this marker); Simon Girty (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockville Bridge (approx. ľ mile away); Village of Heckton (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Rockville Bridge (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dauphin.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Industry & Commerce • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 22, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.