Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Civil War - Barnes School / Figh-Pickett House

 
 
Civil War Barnes-School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 28, 2016
1. Civil War Barnes-School Marker
Inscription.
(side 1)
Civil War-Barnes School

In April 1865, the Union Army command made this house its headquarters. Mrs. Pickett hid her silver on an inside ledge of the cupola. Later, former Confederate Generals Hood, Bragg, and Walker visited here. In 1906, Professor Elly Barnes bought the house for use as a private school for boys, which rapidly achieved fame for its quality. The Barnes School closed in 1942. In 1996, the house was rescued from demolition with the help of the Alabama Historical Commission and moved to its present location by the Montgomery County Historical Society.

(side 2)
Figh-Pickett House

John P. Figh, a native of Maryland, built this, the oldest surviving brick dwelling in Montgomery, ca 1837, at the corner of Clayton and South Court Streets. Figh was one of the chief contractors for the construction of the Alabama State Capitol. He also served as city alderman. In 1858, Figh sold his house to Alabama's first historian, Albert James Pickett, from North Carolina. Although Pickett died just before moving into the house, his family lived here for more than 50 years.
 
Erected 1997 by The Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce Historical Preservation & Promotion Foundation & the Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location.
Figh-Pickett House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 28, 2016
2. Figh-Pickett House Marker
32° 22.254′ N, 86° 18.533′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South Court Street and Mildred Street, on the right when traveling south on South Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 512 South Court Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rice-Semple-Haardt House (was about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing. ); House of the Mayors (about 500 feet away); Teague House (about 700 feet away); Old Ship A.M.E. Zion Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Juliette Hampton Morgan / Montgomery City-County Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Knox Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lomax House, 1848 (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
 
Categories. EducationWar, US Civil
 
Figh-Pickett House image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 28, 2016
3. Figh-Pickett House
Now the Montgomery County Historical Society.
Old South Historical Society designation. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 28, 2016
4. Old South Historical Society designation.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 62 times this year. Last updated on July 24, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 28, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement