Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Decatur in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Ingalls Shipyard

 
 
Ingalls Shipyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 17, 2013
1. Ingalls Shipyard Marker
Inscription. Ingalls Iron Works was established in 1910, by Robert Ingalls, in Titusville Alabama. It became the largest steel company in the region. Looking for new opportunities for the steel his company fabricated, Ingalls opened Ingalls Shipyard in 1937 to build dredges, tugboats, and barges for coastal and river service. Ingalls Shipyard produced a variety of watercraft for the government, including "Liberty" boats, vital for transatlantic supply routes. As World War II approached, the yard's small size forced Ingalls to look for a larger site and relocated to Pascagoula MS. Ingalls' shipbuilding interests were sold to Litton Industries in 1961, which sold the Decatur yard to Trinity Industries in 1981, which promptly closed it. A self-imposed occupancy tax implemented in 2001 by the Decatur-Morgan County Hospitality Association provided necessary funds for the development of a harbor and the city of Decatur purchased the property in 2003. In 2006, Ingalls Harbor emerged as a world-class entertainment venue and is home for many local festivals and professional fishing tournaments.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourist Department and the City of Decatur.
 
Location. 34° 37.35′ N, 86° 59.69′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Alabama,
Ingalls Shipyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 17, 2013
2. Ingalls Shipyard Marker
in Morgan County. Marker is on Wilson Street (U.S. 20), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur AL 35601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lest We Forget (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); “a place of importance” - Union Leadership at Decatur (approx. 0.7 miles away); Burleson House (circa 1836) (approx. 0.7 miles away); Schaudies - Banks Cottage (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dancy-Polk House (circa 1829) (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Decatur Historic District/Historic Depot (approx. 0.8 miles away); “An Affair Most Important to Us” - The Federal Right, October 27-28, 1864 (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
 
Categories. Notable PlacesWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 411 times since then and 42 times this year. Last updated on July 30, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 19, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement