Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Weissport in Carbon County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Allen

1756-1922

 
 
Fort Allen Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 2, 2015
1. Fort Allen Marker
Inscription. Erected by Col. Benjamin Franklin in the winter of 1758 at the order of the Province of Pennsylvania. The fort consisting of the two block houses and a well. Surrounded by a stockade, was situated 201 feet southwest of this spot. It was used as a base of supplies and as a rendezvous for troops during the period of the French and Indian Wars. The well is the only trace left of the fort.
 
Erected by The Improved Order of Red Men of Pennsylvania, the Public Schools of Carbon County.
 
Location. 40° 49.777′ N, 75° 42.14′ W. Marker is in Weissport, Pennsylvania, in Carbon County. Marker is on Franklin Street. Touch for map. The marker is located in Weissport Borough Park. Marker is in this post office area: Lehighton PA 18235, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Allen Well (a few steps from this marker); Jacob Weiss Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hub in itís Heyday (approx. 0.2 miles away); Exploring the Corridor (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Allen (approx. 0.3 miles
Fort Allen Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 2, 2015
2. Fort Allen Marker
away); Colonel Jacob Weiss Monument (approx. half a mile away); Mauch Chunk Railroad Station (approx. 3 miles away); Packer Mansion (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weissport.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, French and Indian
 
Fort Allen Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 2, 2015
3. Fort Allen Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement