Prescott in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Major James Morrow Walsh
Born and educated in Prescott, Walsh was trained at military schools at Kingston and by 1873 had attained the rank of Major in the militia. In that year he was commissioned in the newly formed North-West Mounted Police. While in charge at Fort Walsh, in present-day Saskatchewan, he became known for his influence and friendship with Sitting Bull, chief of the approximately 5,000 Sioux who sought refuge in Canada 1876-77, and for his role in the negotiations for their return to the United States. Walsh retired in 1883 but fourteen years later, at the height of the Klondike gold rush, he was appointed first Commissioner of the Yukon and Superintendent of the North-West Mounted Police there. In 1898 he retired to his home in Brockville.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, Archives of Ontario.
Location. 44° 42.642′ N, 75° 30.678′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and East Street on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Prescott, Ontario K0E 1T0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prescott Barracks and Hospital (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Prescott War Memorial Col. Edward Jessup (about 240 meters away); Sir Richard William Scott (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Fort Wellington (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Forwarding Trade at Prescott (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Bytown and Prescott Railway Company 1850 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Grand Trunk Railway (approx. one kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - James Morrow Walsh. (Submitted on August 10, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Additional keywords. Sandra S. Lawn Harbour and Marina
Categories. • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.