As a result of neglect and vandalism beginning during the Yellow Fever epidemics, the cemetery went to ruins. The desecration resulted in protests by citizens and lawsuits by relatives. In 1931 a park was established on the 7 acres that you now see. Among those buried there were the victims of the Helen McGregor Steamboat disaster, William Lawrence, the first city surveyor, Henry Van Pelt, the first editor of the Appeal, and Marcus Winchester, our first mayor who in 1819 set up the first store in Memphis and in 1821 the first post office. Winchester's grave is located under what is now the city garage on the west side of the property.
Location. 35° 9.126′ N, 90° 2.168′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary's Cathedral Chapel and Diocesan House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Collins Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Poplar Tunes / One-Stop Shop (approx. half a mile away); Mallory-Neely House (approx. half a mile away); Chickasaw Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lauderdale Courts / Presley Family at Lauderdale Courts (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lowenstein Mansion (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Also see . . .
1. Winchester Cemetery. Includes list of all burials (Submitted on September 4, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.)
2. Memphis, TN Steamboat HELEN McGREGOR Explodes, Feb 1830. (Submitted on September 4, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 4, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.