Near Winona in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Harris Creek Cemetery
The earliest documented burial in Harris Creek Cemetery is of South Carolina native John Brownlee Clinkscales, who signed his will the same day he died on Jan. 4, 1857. Mount Carmel declined after the Civil War, and an extension of the Tyler Tap Railroad established the nearby town of Winona in 1876. Harris Creek Memorial Association formed in Oct. 1909, with James T. Kay of Winona as chairman. The association continues to hold an annual meeting, which usually includes worship service and a picnic dinner. Winona Baptist Church (formerly Harris Creek Baptist Church) deeded the cemetery to Harris Creek Memorial Association in 1948.
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16753.)
Location. 32° 27.992′ N, 95° 13.022′ W. Marker is near Winona, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on Harris Creek Church Road (County Road 336) 0.2 miles south of County Road 41, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13720 Harris Creek Church Road, Winona TX 75792, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nicholas Wren 1807-1859 (here, next to this marker); Scouts of Texas Army (here, next to this marker); Elisha Everett Lott (approx. 2.4 miles away); Camp Fannin Camp Fannin Internment Camp (approx. 2.8 miles away); Camp Fannin, Texas (approx. 2.9 miles away); Our Land - Our Heritage (approx. 2.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of Winona (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winona.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 19, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.