Near Amarillo in Potter County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Cemetery in Potter County
On the old _X (LX), first ranch in Potter County, established in 1877 by W.H. Bates and D.T. Beals, Boston (Mass.) industrialists. The earliest burials occurred after the LX was sold, 1884, to American Pastoral Land and Cattle Company, a British syndicate.
First grave was dug for the LX bookkeeper's wife, Mrs. James Wyness, who died in Tascosa on June 15, 1887; six weeks later the newborn son who survived was laid at her side. The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Charley Mott died in 1888. Second adult buried here was P.O. ("Bunch") McCrary, killed 1890 when his horse fell on him while he was roping a yearling. In 1893 James Bailey, hauling grain from Amarillo, bogged in quicksand in the Canadian; in getting his wagon out, he suffered exposure that brought on a fatal case of pneumonia. A 1902 grave was for James Bell, found dead in a corral with a bridle in his hand.
When the syndicate was liquidated, this portion of the ranch was purchased by an early cattleman, R.B. Masterson. John Arnot, one of the original employees of the syndicate, and later a U.S. Government Cattle Brands Inspector, maintained the cemetery until 1945. It is now cared
Erected 1967 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1696.)
Location. 35° 28.575′ N, 101° 53.053′ W. Marker is near Amarillo, Texas, in Potter County. Marker is on U.S. 87 3.3 miles south of Gravel Pit Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located a half mile north of the Canadian River. Marker is in this post office area: Amarillo TX 79108, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Great Spanish Road / First Ranch in Potter County / First Store in Potter County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Canadian River (about 400 feet away); The _X (LX) First Ranch in Potter County (approx. 1.7 miles away); The United States Topographical Engineers in the High Plains of Texas (approx. 1.7 miles away); First Gas Well in the Panhandle of Texas (approx. 7.7 miles away); Masterson (approx. 11.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Find-A-Grave link to cemetery. (Submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 20, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.