Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of The MacKenzie Trail

 
 
Site of The MacKenzie Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 16, 2015
1. Site of The MacKenzie Trail Marker
Inscription.
  Following the Civil War, the Texas frontier pushed westward, giving rise to renewed hostilities as the white man once again invaded Indian lands.
  Foremost in the campaign to calm the frontier was Col. Ranald S. MacKenzie, who blazed trails from Ft. Griffin to the Plains and from Ft. Concho to Palo Duro Canyon in the Panhandle.
  Tons of supplies for MacKenzie's forces—varying from 600 to 800 men—were freighted from Ft. Griffin to his main camp on the Brazos River fresh water fork (now White River), there dispersed to his troops.
  A second major trail was charted when his entire force moved from Ft. Concho to the Fresh Water Camp, passing a major campsite at MacKenzie Mountain (20 mi. N. of Snyder). The Fresh Water Camp was one of the first made in the 1871 campaign in which MacKenzie was outmaneuvered by Quanah Parker (son of captive Cynthia Ann Parker and Comanche chief Pete Nocona). In 1874 it was also the last campsite used after MacKenzie totally defeated massed Cheyenne, Kiowa, and Quahadi Comanche forces in Palo Duro Canyon.
  Abstracts of the original townsite of Snyder, made in 1881, twice use "The MacKenzie Trail" as reference, setting its course across the Snyder Square.
 
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker
MacKenzie Trail Marker next to Scurry County Courthouse . image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 16, 2015
2. MacKenzie Trail Marker next to Scurry County Courthouse .
Number 4897.)
 
Location. 32° 42.973′ N, 100° 55.044′ W. Marker is in Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is at the intersection of 26th Street and Avenue R, on the right when traveling west on 26th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1806 25th Street, Snyder TX 79549, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Store of William Henry "Pete" Snyder (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Sanitarium of Alonzo Orrin Scarborough (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Fe Railway in Scurry County (within shouting distance of this marker); The Press in Snyder (within shouting distance of this marker); Scurry County's Canyon Reef Oil Field (within shouting distance of this marker); County's First Law Men (within shouting distance of this marker); Scurry County Courthouse Site and Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Company G (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Snyder.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on Ranald MacKenzie. (Submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. ExplorationNative AmericansWars, US Indian
 
View of marker across the street, under tree and above the white car, near Courthouse. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 16, 2015
3. View of marker across the street, under tree and above the white car, near Courthouse.
Ranald S. Mackenzie image. Click for full size.
By Public Domain
4. Ranald S. Mackenzie
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 21, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement