Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Manassas in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Robinson House

 
 
Robinson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, September 26, 2015
1. Robinson House Marker
Inscription. Here stood the home of James Robinson and his family. Born "free" in 1799, James is listed as being of mixed racial parentage. Family oral history suggests that James' father was possibly a member of the Carter family of Pittsylvania plantation. In 1840, James purchased 170 acres of land on Henry Hill. Within a decade, he had built a modest one-and-one-half story log dwelling and assorted outbuildings. Robinson was the third wealthiest free black man living in Prince William County prior to the war.

Nine family members, spanning three generations, resided here in 1860. During the First Battle of Manassas, the family took refuge in a neighbor's cellar, and James reportedly hid under the turnpike bridge over Young's Branch. Despite its location amidst the fighting, the house escaped major damage. The farm remained safely behind Union lines through most of the Second Battle of Manassas, although General Franz Sigel established his headquarters on the property.

In 1872, Robinson submitted a claim to the government to recover some of the financial loss incurred during the war. He claimed that $2,608 of personal property was either taken or destroyed by Union soldiers — including large quantities of hay, wheat, corn, livestock, fence rails, and assorted furniture. Robinson was reimbursed for $1,249, less than half
View looking toward the Robinson House remains and marker image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, September 26, 2015
2. View looking toward the Robinson House remains and marker
of what he claimed.

(caption)
Photo by George Barnard, March 1862.
 
Erected by Manassas National Battlefield, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Location. 38° 49.118′ N, 77° 31.142′ W. Marker is near Manassas, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker can be reached from Sudley Road half a mile south of Lee Highway (U.S. 29), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located along the 1.1-mile Henry Hill trail, near the ruins of the Robinson House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6511 Sudley Road, Manassas VA 20109, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Outnumbered: The Stand in Robinson Lane (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); War-Time Henry Hill (about 300 feet away); Confederates Rally (about 700 feet away); James Robinson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); 7th Georgia Regiment (approx. 0.2 miles away); Various Sections of Virginia Artillery (approx. mile away); Historic Farm Road Trace (approx. mile away); Historic Road Trace (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manassas.
 
Also see . . .
1. Manassas National Battlefield Park. National Park Service
Post-War Robinson House Ruins image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, February 11, 2017
3. Post-War Robinson House Ruins
The stones in front of you mark the foundation of the post-war Robinson House. The structure burned in 1993.
(Submitted on October 2, 2015.) 

2. Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location also titled “Robinson House” (Submitted on October 2, 2015.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansWar, US Civil
 
War-Time Robinson House Site image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, February 11, 2017
4. War-Time Robinson House Site
On this spot stood the Robinson House in 1861. The family dismantled the original structure in the 1920s to expand their post-war dwelling.
Robinson House Remains image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, September 26, 2015
5. Robinson House Remains
View of the trail leading to the Robinson House site and marker image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, September 26, 2015
6. View of the trail leading to the Robinson House site and marker
Bull Run, Virginia. Robinson's house image. Click for full size.
By George N. Barnard, March 1862
7. Bull Run, Virginia. Robinson's house
Library of Congress (LC-B811-319A-2)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2015, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 2, 2015, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia.   3. submitted on February 18, 2017, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia.   4. submitted on February 19, 2017, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia.   5, 6. submitted on October 2, 2015, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia.   7. submitted on October 2, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement