Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Longview in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The End of the Beginning

1920s

 
 
The End of the Beginning Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
1. The End of the Beginning Marker
Inscription. By 1920, Longview boasted 9 1/2 miles of paved streets, concrete sidewalks, electric street lights, municipal garbage collection and a paid fire department with the state's first two pumping trucks. In 1920, the Longview Rotary Club was organized as the city's first service club. By 1920-21, a 16-foot-wide strip of asphalt known as State Highway 15 (future U.S. Highway 80) became the first paved road across Gregg County. In 1926, the East Texas Chamber of Commerce was formed and located its headquarters in Longview, with member cities including Dallas, Houston and Shreveport, LA. In 1929, the five-story Gregg Hotel (later doubled in size by new owner Conrad Hilton) was constructed.

However, Longview experienced economic instability. Cotton profits declined due to soil exhaustion and pests such as the boll weevil, and the lumber industry suffered as local timber was depleted. In January 1929, the Texas & Pacific moved its division offices and shops to Mineola, taking away 700 families. Then came the Great Depression.
 
Erected 2000 by One Hundred Acres of Heritage, Inc.
 
Location. 32° 29.745′ N, 94° 44.207′ W. Marker is in Longview, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of North Green Street
The End of the Beginning 1920s image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
2. The End of the Beginning 1920s
and East Methvin Street, on the right when traveling south on North Green Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 East Methvin Street, Longview TX 75601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Technology Brings Modern Conveniences (here, next to this marker); Longview Charters First Industry in Texas (here, next to this marker); Transportation: Model T's, Trains & Trolleys (here, next to this marker); First Discovery Wells and Then the Boom! (a few steps from this marker); "Dolly" — Longview's First Fire Engine (a few steps from this marker); A City That Grows (a few steps from this marker); The Oil Boom Brings Renewal (a few steps from this marker); World War II & Its Aftermath (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longview.
 
Also see . . .  Texas State Historical Association on Longview. (Submitted on October 2, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & Vehicles
 
Photo from marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
3. Photo from marker.
Heritage Plaza park image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
4. Heritage Plaza park
Intersection of Green & Methvin Streets. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
5. Intersection of Green & Methvin Streets.
Heritage Plaza dedication plaque. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 17, 2015
6. Heritage Plaza dedication plaque.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 2, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement