Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Forest Hill Cemetery & Eﬃgy Mound Group
1857 - 1862 & C. 500 - 1000 A.D.
Erected 2015 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 33.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 4.017′ N, 89° 25.783′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Speedway Road and Regent Street, on the right when traveling north on Speedway Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: One Speedway Road, Madison WI 53705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Former Greenbush Cemetery Burials (approx. ¼ mile away); Aldo Leopold House (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Memory of Our Beloved Sons Bradley-Sigma Phi House (approx. half a mile away); Hoyt Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Elliott House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gilmore House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Keystone House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Forest Hill Cemetery & Effigy Mound Group. The Madison Landmarks Commission designated Forest Hill Cemetery and Effigy Mound Group as a landmark (no. 33) in 1975 (revised 1990), stating that "Forest Hill Cemetery was developed from 1857-1862 as the new city cemetery, replacing the smaller cemetery where Orton Park is today. It is one of the most intact examples of the rural cemetery movement of the 19th century, in which burials were set in a park like grounds that also served as a place for strolling, picnics and quiet recreation. The popularity of the rural cemeteries signaled the need for recreational space and gave impetus to the city parks movement. Historic buildings within the cemetery boundaries include the chapel-like receiving vault of ca. 1865, the John Catlin Memorial Chapel of 1878 and the Mausoleum,
"The beautiful views of the whole surrounding area were the reason for acquiring the land as a city cemetery, but it was also the same reason that the Native Americans used the site for their burials and effigy mounds many centuries before. The Forest Hill Cemetery Mound Group once consisted of seven mounds and now consists of two 'panther' mounds (probably actually water spirits), a linear mound and a flying bird."
According to a 1996 survey by Robert A. Birmingham and Katherine H. Rankin entitled Native American Mounds in Madison and Dane County, "This Late Woodland effigy mound group presently consists of two panthers, a linear and most of a goose effigy (the head was destroyed when the Illinois Central Railroad was built in the 1880s). Three other linears in line with the panther's tail to the northeast were destroyed by early cemetery construction. From the main cemetery entrance follow the left-most forks in the cemetery road until you reach
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2015, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2015, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.