Piney Point in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Piney Point Lighthouse
Initially Piney Point had a fixed white light of 10 lamps and 10 reflectors, visible for 11 miles. In June 1855 a fifth order Fresnel lens was added, changing the light color from white to yellow and increasing visibility for mariners. The lighthouse was automated with electricity in the 1950's.
Because fog frequently obscured the treacherous shoreline of Piney Point, a bell tower was added in 1880. Replaced by a reed horn in 1936, the bell tower was severely damaged by Hurricane Hazel in 1954 and was later dismantled.
Caption of photo on upper right side of marker
The Piney Point Lighthouse bell tower with reed horn.
Caption of photo on lower right side of marker
Piney Point Lighthouse and keeper's quarters 2005
Erected by Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
Location. 38° 8.154′ N, 76° 31.748′ W. Marker is in Piney Point, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Lighthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Piney Point MD 20674, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Potomac River Military Testing (here, next to this marker); Lighthouse Keeper's Quarters (here, next to this marker); Bay Lights (here, next to this marker); Natural Highways (here, next to this marker); Osprey (here, next to this marker); Map of Lower Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Piney Point Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Piney Point Lighthouse (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piney Point.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 909 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 9, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on May 4, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.