St. Mary’s City in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Landing of the Ark and the Dove
Erected 1934 by the Maryland State Society, Daughters of the Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Saint Mary's City marker series.
Location. 38° 11.22′ N, 76° 26.142′ W. Marker is in St. Mary’s City, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Trinity Church Road near Point Lookout Road (Maryland Route 5). Touch for map. It is at the Trinity Episcopal Church cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47477 Trinity Church Rd, Saint Marys City MD 20686, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Laura Maryland Carpenter Blinn (here, next to this marker); Thomas Allen Senior (a few steps from this John Llewellyn (within shouting distance of this marker); Leonard Calvert (within shouting distance of this marker); The First State House of Maryland (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Mary’s City.
More about this marker. Erected on the 300th anniversary of the landing, the monument is at the landing site, at the edge of today’s Trinity Espicopal Church cemetery overlooking the mouth of the St. Mary’s River at the Potomac River, a few miles from the Chesapeake Bay.
Regarding The Landing of the Ark and the Dove. The two ships carried the first settlers from Gravesend, Kent, and Cowes, Isle-of-Wight, to Lord Baltimore’s new colony, Maryland, a refuge for English
Also see . . . Narrative of a Voyage to Maryland, 1633–34. by Father Andrew White, S.J., who came with The Ark and The Dove (Submitted on April 1, 2007.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,234 times since then and 61 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week January 15, 2012. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 1, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.