Yorktown in York County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Shiloh Baptist Church
Civil War Yorktown
Chaplain Jeremiah Asher was the grandson of a slave, but was born free in Connecticut. On the eve of the Civil War, he was a prominent abolitionist and minister of Shiloh Baptist Church in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. When the federal government began recruiting African Americans for newly formed United States Colored Regiments, Asher wrote President Abraham Lincoln, advocating African Americans should serve as military chaplains to these units. African Americans were prohibited from serving as commissioned officers in their own regiments, which included chaplain positions.
Back with Hardy and Hawkins to Baptist church. Crowded. Patrolled Slabtown. Master Sergeant Christian A. Fleetwood, 4th United States Colored Troops, Diary, March 27, 1864 Courtesy of Library of Congress
The members of Shiloh Baptist Church probably first worshiped in a simple cabin, but by 1866 were meeting in a former Confederate military barracks. Thirty tears after its founding, the congregation constructed a new edifice across the road from the Yorktown National Cemetery. When the church burned four years later, it was rebuilt and in continuous use until 1974 when a new house of worship was constructed about one mile to the west at the intersection of Route 17 and Goosley Road. In 2001, Shiloh Baptist Church reached another historical milestone when Pastor Barbara Lemon was installed as the congregation's minister, becoming the first female African American Baptist minister in the local area.
In 1866-1867, Captain James Miles Moore, of the U.S. Army Quartermaster Department,oversaw the development of the Yorktown National Cemetery. As part of the project, he directed a map of the immediate area be diagrammed. This map shows Shiloh Baptist Church's original location. Map and photo courtesy of the National Archives
James Miles Moore
Erected by Colonial National Historical Park, National Park Servcice.
Location. 37° 13.517′ N, 76° 30.417′ W. Marker is in Yorktown, Virginia, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Goosley Road (Virginia Route 238) and Cook Road (Virginia Route 238), on the right when traveling west on Goosley Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yorktown VA 23690, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Yorktown National Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Shiloh Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Slabtown (about 400 feet away); Surrender at Yorktown (about 400 feet away); Second Allied Siege Line (about 500 feet away); Grand French Battery (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named The Grand French Battery (about 700 feet away); First Allied Siege Line (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yorktown.
Also see . . . Yorktown Battlefield - Colonial National Historical Park. National Park Service (Submitted on November 26, 2015.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.