West Chester in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of the First Schoolhouse
in West Chester, Pennsylvania - c.1760
—A town at that time known as Turk's Head —
Site of First Schoolhouse in West Chester (Turk's Head), built of logs, 1760. Used as a hospital for American wounded after the Battle of Brandywine, Sept, 1777. Some soldiers died and were buried here in the schoolyard.
Erected 1983 by West Chester Area School Board & by donation of the West Chester Area Education Association.
Location. 39° 57.629′ N, 75° 36.323′ W. Marker is in West Chester, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Gay Street and South High Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker and another are on the ground in a flower bed planter that is within a short wrought iron fence, a few feet from a more modern marker with the same text. Marker is in this post office area: West Chester PA 19380, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of First School House in West Chester (a few steps from this marker); Bank of Chester County (within shouting distance of this marker); William Darlington M.D. (within shouting distance of this marker); William Darlington (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester County The First National Bank of West Chester (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chester County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Old Glory (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Chester.
More about this marker. The marker directly next to this one lists the names of the towns noted educators through the years.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . West Chester Area School District. (Submitted on January 12, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Education • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 12, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.