Port Royal, Kingston, Jamaica
The Historic Royal Naval Hospital
Built around 1818, the Historic Royal Naval Hospital is an early example of the use of cast iron in construction. It was designed by a team headed by naval architect Edward Holl and constructed using the labour of enslaved Africans. The prefabricated cast iron units were imported from Sheffield, England, and the bricks were made from local clay. The building rests on a raft foundation, that is, all supporting iron columns are linked beneath the surface.
The hospital was built on the foundation of an earlier one erected in 1743 and destroyed by fire in 1812. Outbuildings included kitchens, staff quarters, isolation ward, mortuary and a storeroom. The services at the new hospital received high praise from those who were treated there. One of the first to be nursed at the hospital was Captain Botelier, RN.
Over the years and since the naval station at Port Royal closed in 1905, the building has been used for a variety of purposes.
Location. 17° 56.273′ N, 76° 50.57′ W. Marker is in Port Royal, Kingston. Marker can be reached from Broad Street just from New Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Peter's Church (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Great War 1914-1918 (about 180 meters away); Lucas Barrett (about 180 meters away); Welcome to Port Royal (about 210 meters away); 'Ye Olde Parade Bar' (about 210 meters away); H.M.S. "Aboukir" (about 240 meters away); Fort Charles (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Horatio Nelson in Jamaica (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Royal.
Categories. • African Americans • Man-Made Features • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.