Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

José María Morelos y Pavón Stopped to Pray Here

 
 
José María Morelos y Pavón Stopped to Pray Here Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, November 2, 2015
1. José María Morelos y Pavón Stopped to Pray Here Marker
Inscription.
En esta capilla se detuvo a orar el mas grande
de los caudillos insurgentes,
El Generalisimo Don Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon,
al pasar por esta ciudad en la mañana del 22 de diciembre de 1815 rumbo a San Cristobal Ecatepec para ser sacrificado.

El Ayuntamiento Constitucional de Guadalupe Hidalgo dedica esta lapida a la memoria de tan eximio patriota hoy primer centenario de la consumación de la independencia de Mexico 27 de septiembre de 1921.

English translation:
In this chapel the supreme leader of the insurgency
José María Morelos y Pavón
stopped to pray while passing the city on the morning of December 22, 1815 as he was taken to San Cristobal Ecatepec to be executed.

The Municipal Government of Guadalupe Hidalgo dedicates this marker to the memory of the great patriot today on the 100th anniversary of the consummation of Mexican independence.
September 27, 1921.

 
Erected 1921 by El Ayuntamiento Constitucional de Guadalupe Hidalgo.
 
Location. 19° 29.137′ N, 99° 6.91′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Ciudad de México. Marker can be reached from Calzada de Guadalupe just from Zumarraga. Touch for map. The marker is along
An additional marker on José María Morelos y Pavón image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, June 26, 2017
2. An additional marker on José María Morelos y Pavón
On the south side of the chapel is this additional marker on Morelos stopping here on December 22, 1815 to pray on his way to his execution. This marker was placed on November 28, 2015, close to the 200th anniversary of the event.
the side of the Chapel of the Well at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe. It can only be seen from a distance as it and portions of the chapel are protected by railing.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chapel of the Well (within shouting distance of this marker); The Parish of the Natives (within shouting distance of this marker); The Banner of Atotonilco and the Parish of the Natives (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Virgin of Guadalupe and Juan Diego (about 90 meters away); Tepeyac Chapel (about 120 meters away); Francisco Primo de Verdad y Ramos (about 180 meters away); The Reign of Cuauhtemoctzin (approx. 4.4 kilometers away); Momoztli: a neighborhood altar (approx. 4.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
 
Regarding José María Morelos y Pavón Stopped to Pray Here. José María Morelos y Pavón (September 30, 1765, Valladolid, now Morelia, Michoacán – December 22, 1815, San Cristóbal Ecatepec, México State) was a Catholic priest and revolutionary leader who led the Mexican War of Independence movement, assuming its leadership after the execution of Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla in 1811. He was captured by the Spanish royalist military, tried by the Inquisition, defrocked
José María Morelos y Pavón Stopped to Pray Here Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, November 2, 2015
3. José María Morelos y Pavón Stopped to Pray Here Marker
The marker is roughly in the center of the photo, along the outer wall of the Chapel of the Well. The Old Basilica can be seen in the distance towards the west.
as a cleric, and executed by civil authorities for treason in 1815, as the marker mentions, nearby in the town of San Cristóbal Ecatepec.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraPatriots & PatriotismWars, Non-US
 
A wide view of the chapel and additional Morelos marker to the left. image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, June 26, 2017
4. A wide view of the chapel and additional Morelos marker to the left.
To the right is the "Chapel of the Well" marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 22, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   2. submitted on July 15, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   3. submitted on January 22, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   4. submitted on July 15, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement