Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sunbury in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Sunbury Cemetery

 
 
The Sunbury Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 2008
1. The Sunbury Cemetery Marker
Inscription. ( Left Text )
The plan of Sunbury consisted of three community-owned squares: King's Square, Meeting Square, and Church Square. You are standing in the area that was once Church Square. This 350 by 350-foot area held the church to the north and the cemetery to the south. The cemetery was established with the town in 1758 and was used until early 1900s. The cemetery is defined today as a one-acre lot, but it was originally much larger. There may be unmarked graves outside the fence.

( Right Text )
Since Church Square held the only church and public cemetery for miles, many people were buried here in the 1700s, 1800s, and 1900s. The earliest marked grave is dated 1788, and the most recent grave is dated 1911. We can identify who was buried at many of these graves because of the stone markers. However , other early graves did not have tombstones, and we think many markers have been lost over the last two centuries. There are still mysteries to solve at Sunbury Cemetery.

The Sunbury Cemetery became overgrown in the late twentieth century. Local neighbors and the Society of Daughters of American Colonists have cleaned up the area, and they continue to study and watch over the cemetery.
 
Erected by Society of Daughters of American Colonists.
 
Location.
The Sunbury Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By The Sunbury Cemetery Marker, 2008
2. The Sunbury Cemetery Marker
( Left Picture text )
Church Square provided religious sanctuary for thr Sunbury community. The early settlers established a Congregationalist church. The church evolved into a Presbyterian church by the early nineteenth century.
31° 46.182′ N, 81° 17.034′ W. Marker is in Sunbury, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is on Dutchmans Cove Road. Touch for map. At Sunbury Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Sunbury Cemetery (here, next to this marker); The Old Sunbury Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sunbury (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint John's Lodge Number Six (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Dead Town Of Sunbury (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Famous Sunbury "Masonic" Oak (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Morris (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dorchester Village (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sunbury.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
The Sunbury Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By The Sunbury Cemetery Marker, 2008
3. The Sunbury Cemetery Marker
( Right picture text)
Funerals at Sundbury Cemetery began after 1758 and continued into 1900s
The Sunbury Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 2008
4. The Sunbury Cemetery Marker
Site Of
Sunbury Cemetery
In The Town Of Sunbury
Founded 1758
Marker Erected By
Georgia Society
Daughters Of The American Colonists
1951
Partial view The Sunbury Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
5. Partial view The Sunbury Cemetery
The Sunbury Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, February 18, 2011
6. The Sunbury Cemetery Marker
The Sunbury Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, February 18, 2011
7. The Sunbury Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,390 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   6, 7. submitted on April 15, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement