Sawpit Bluﬀ Plantation
Sawpit Bluff Plantation, located on Black Hammock Island, was built in the 1750s by Edmund Gray. The plantation was named for the sawpit excavated to accommodate the up and down motion of a vertical saw blade. The plantation house was constructed of tabby, an early building material made from shells, sand, and lime. During the American Revolutionary War in the British colonial period, an invasion force composed of Continental Army soldiers and Georgia militia encamped at Sawpit Bluff and engaged in fighting on May 14, 1777. Known as the Battle of Sawpit Bluff, and part of the larger Battle of Thomas Creek, this skirmish was one of the few battles of the Revolutionary War fought in Florida. The invading soldiers were forced to retreat after an attack by the loyalist East Florida Rangers and their Creek Indian allies. After the return of East Florida to Spain in 1783, Black Hammock Island was part of a land grant made to Juan Thorp. Thorp established a large estate on the island, called "Sawpit Bluff" or "Barranco de Acceradero." Used for growing Sea Island cotton and for raising cattle and horses, the plantation later passed
In 1801 and again in 1812, life on Sawpit Bluff was disrupted by conflicts between American settlers migrating south from Georgia and the Spanish colonial government. During the War of 1812, an American military force under the leadership of General George Matthews, invaded the region in quest of Spanish territory as part the conflict known as the Patriot's War. The invaders stole a boat from the Smith family. After the war, the daughter of Mary Smith, Mary Martha, grew up at Sawpit Bluff Plantation and married Florida's fourth territorial governor, Robert Raymond Reid. During the Civil War, Mary Martha Reid was the matron of the Florida Hospital in Richmond, Virginia. Sawpit Bluff Plantation was also the childhood home of her sister Rebecca, wife of CSA General Joseph Finnegan, who won the Battle of Olustee. Unable to keep up with the taxes on the property, Mary Smith lost the land, which fell into disuse and returned to swamp. It remained unchanged until the late 1970s. Little is left of the old house except a few tabby remains. This marker was erected in 2015 by Martha Reid 19, United Daughters of the Confederacy for the Sesquicentennial of the War Between the States.
Erected 2014 by The Martha Reid Chapter 19, United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Florida Department
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 30° 31.177′ N, 81° 28.847′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is on Sawpit Road 0.1 miles north of Flounder Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in Black Hammock Island Park parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15770 Sawpit Road, Jacksonville FL 32226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklintown Chapel (approx. 4.1 miles away); American Beach at the Crossroads (approx. 4.3 miles away); A Dune System Called "NaNa" (approx. 4.3 miles away); Historic American Beach (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Home on American Beach (approx. 4.4 miles away); Martha's Hideaway (approx. 4.4 miles away); Mount Olive Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); A Very Comfortable Habitation (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • War of 1812 • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Sawpit Bluff Plantation.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings in context. • Can you help?