Near Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
During the Union bombardment of Fort Morgan on August 22nd, 1864 the Citadel roof caught fire and burned out of control. Following the Civil War the structureís gutted ruins were demolished.
Location. 30° 13.711′ N, 88° 1.366′ W. Marker is near Gulf Shores, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker can be reached from Fort Morgan Road (Alabama Route 180) 1.7 miles west of Dune Drive when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in Fort Morgan State Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Highway 180 West, Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Citadel (1825-1865) (a few steps from this marker); The Battle of Mobile Bay (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Mobile Bay (within shouting distance of this marker); 6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Rifle / 7” Brooke Rifle (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Mobile Bay Panama Mount (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Bowyer War of 1812 (about 300 feet away but has been reported missing); Battery Thomas (1898-1917) (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulf Shores.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 12, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.