Conway in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Conway United Methodist Church/Brick Road
Conway United Methodist Church
The Conway Methodist Church was first organized in 1874 as the Prospect Methodist Episcopal Church South. Services were held monthly in a log cabin and led by a circuit rider. The building also served as the school and a gathering place for social activities in the community. The social life centered around a log structure of small dimensions built in 1875. The Morgan Mizell family deeded two acres at the southeast corner of Conway Road and Anderson Road for the church, parsonage, and cemetery. The original log cabin was located east of the structure that borders the intersection. On September 13, 1884, the name of the church was changed from Prospect to Conway and on January 7, 1885, the Conway circuit was created at the conference held in Gainesville. The circuit included Lake Howell, Pine Castle, Lake Irma, and Conway. Fifty two ministers served the church in the 65 years of its history to 1939 for periods of time varying from 3 months to 3 years. A clapboard structure replaced the log cabin in 1881 and stayed in service until 1960. Prayer meetings would be held at the neighbor's houses during the week, usually on Wednesday nights.
Conway Road was built in 1871 to connect Orlando with the tiny community. In the early 1880's.
Erected by Orange County Board of County Commissioners.
Location. 28° 30.117′ N, 81° 19.843′ W. Marker is in Conway, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is at the intersection of South Conway Road (State Road 15) and Anderson Road, on the right when traveling north on South Conway Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3401 S Conway Rd, Orlando FL 32812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The English Colony/The Polo Club (approx. ¼ mile away); Citrus Industry and Red Hill Groves/Conway School Conway First Baptist Church/Fort Gatlin (approx. half a mile away); St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church/Datson Dairy (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Gatlin 1838 (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site of Fort Gatlin (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site and Home of Francis Eppes (approx. 2½ miles away); Eppes-Shine Plot Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conway.
Also see . . . Conway United Methodist Church. (Submitted on March 29, 2016.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.