Historic New York
After the Revolution came land speculators, like Robert Harpur who in 1795 founded Harpursville, with a grant of 30,000 acres, and brought in settlers from the Mohawk Valley and New England. Lumber and agricultural products were rafted down the Susquehanna to market. In 1869 the Albany and Susquehanna Railroad, which became part of the Delaware and Hudson line, was completed, and industry developed along it's route. Farms were principally devoted to dairying;and creameries and factories for milk products were established. Travel and transport once so heavy on the river and railroad have been largely
Erected by Education Department-State of New York 1965-Department of Public Works.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic New York marker series.
Location. 42° 14.527′ N, 75° 29.634′ W. Marker is in Afton, New York, in Chenango County. Marker is on New York State Route 7. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Afton NY 13730, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. About Two Miles Down The Susquehanna River (approx. 1.9 miles away); Routes of the Armies of General John Sullivan and General James Clinton (approx. 1.9 miles away); Mormon House Site (approx. 2 miles away); First Toll Gate (approx. 4.8 miles away); a different marker also named Routes of the Armies of General John Sullivan and General James Clinton (approx. 6.3 miles away); Old Unadilla (approx. 7 miles away); Coffin Man (approx. 7.3 miles away); Sidney Plains (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Afton.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2016, by Scott J. Payne of Deposit, New York. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 2, 2016, by Scott J. Payne of Deposit, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.