Women's Heritage Trail
—Kearny Cottage —
The house, built around 1784, is a simple two-and-one-half story clapboard frame building with a lean-to addition that gives it its present saltbox appearance. She married Michael Kearny on June 30, 1774 and died in “The Cottage” on July 22, 1802.
“Elizabeth Lawrence-Kearny’s intimate friends included prominent people in the arts and one ardent admirer wrote: ‘She occupies the highest seat on Parnassus’”.
From Lawrence Kearny, Sailor Diplomat by Carroll Storrs Alden, Head of the Department of English and History, U.S. Naval Academy, Princeton University Press 1936.
(Inscription in the two boxes on the left)
Top box: Kearny Cottage, the former home of poet Elizabeth Lawrence, is on the New
Bottom box: The New Jersey Women’s Heritage Trail highlights a collection of historic sites located around the state that represent the significant contributions women made to the history of our state. The Heritage Trail brings to life the vital role of women in New Jersey’s past and present.
Erected by New Jersey Historic Trust-Historic Preservation Office.
Location. 40° 30.042′ N, 74° 16.328′ W. Marker is in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Catalpa Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 63 Catalpa Avenue, Perth Amboy NJ 08861, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kearny Cottage (here, next to this marker); Kearny Cottage: Historic Home (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Kearny Cottage (a few steps from this marker); The Bluff: Witness to History (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Water Highway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ambo Point Governor’s House (approx. ¼ mile away); Proprietary House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perth Amboy.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.