Montgomery in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Colonial Shipyard
The creek on which it stood is known as Shipyard Creek. The site of the shipyard was on the Beaulieu (or Bewlie) plantation of John Morel and was favorable for shipbuilding activities because of its accessibility to the Vernon River and the plentiful supply of live oak in the vicinity.
Here, in December, 1774, Daniel Giroud, shipbuilder, constructed the brig "Bewlie," a vessel of 200 tons burden. In reporting the launching of the ship the "Georgia Gazette" stated that "those who are judges say she is well built and of the best materials, particularly her frame." During the American Revolution Giroud assisted in the construction of several Continental row galleys which saw service in Georgia waters.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-66.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31406, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beaulieu Plantation (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pin Point Community (approx. 0.9 miles away); Brick Pillar (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bethesda (approx. 1.4 miles away); Capture of the USS "Water Witch" (approx. 1.9 miles away); Vernonburg (approx. 2 miles away); Nicholsonboro (approx. 2.1 miles away); Noble Jonesí “Wormslow” (approx. 2.8 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,433 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.