Emmitsburg in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
Founder of the Sisters of Charity
Erected by Seton Shrine Center and Maryland Historical Society.
Location. 39° 41.791′ N, 77° 19.815′ W. Marker is in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on South Seton Avenue (Business U.S. 15), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located near the entrance to the National Emergency Training Center, on the southwest corner of Seton Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16840 South Seton Avenue, Emmitsburg MD 21727, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of St. Joseph's College (a few steps from this marker); The White House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gen. John F. Reynolds (approx. St. Joseph's Valley Camp (approx. ¼ mile away); Daughters of Charity (approx. ¼ mile away); White Ash Tree (approx. ¼ mile away); Fallen Firefighters Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); "To Lift a Nation" (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Emmitsburg.
Also see . . .
1. National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton. Nearly 200 years ago, Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton founded the Sisters of Charity of Saint Joseph's, the first new community for religious women to be established in the United States in Emmitsburg, Maryland. Today, visitors are welcome to tour the beautiful grounds of the National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton where her remains are entombed. (Submitted on July 24, 2008.)
2. Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton. Born Aug. 28, 1774, in New York, she came to Emmitsburg from Baltimore June 24, 1809, occupying stone house on these grounds July 31. The following year, in White House visible from here, she organized nation's first Roman Catholic Parochial School. After her death Jan. 4, 1821, she was buried in "the little wood." (Submitted on July 24, 2008.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,483 times since then and 17 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week August 28, 2016. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 23, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on July 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6. submitted on June 21, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.