Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Swanton in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton

 
 
Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, May 22, 2016
1. Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton Marker
Close-up view of the "A" side of the marker.
Inscription.
Side A
Ohio's Last Ottawas

Here in the Oak Openings Region of northwest Ohio, some of the last Ottawa villages in Ohio lined the banks of Swan Creek during the 1830s. These Native Americans were led by Chief Ottokee (Autokee), a descendant of Pontiac, and half brother to another Ottawa Chief named Wauseon. Known for being honest and friendly, Ottokee was the last Ottawa chief in the Maumee Valley, for years refusing to go when the last of his people were removed to lands west of the Mississippi River.

Side B
Swanton

In 1835 a road opened from Maumee to the Indiana State line, running through this area. Swanton emerged here, near the Ottawa village, as a frontier town with several shops and hotels for pioneers heading west. To the east, a tollbooth and junction from Toledo known as the Chicago Pike opened. With the arrival of the railroad, 'Old Swanton' was outstripped and moved to its present location. The Swanton Township Hall was originally a schoolhouse, built in 1909 and served as such until 1938.
 
Erected 2007 by Swanton Township Trustees, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 51-48.)
 
Marker series. This
Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, May 22, 2016
2. Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton Marker
Close-up view of the "B" side of the marker.
marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 34.95′ N, 83° 51.846′ W. Marker is in Swanton, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of Airport Highway (Ohio Route 2) and Scott Road (County Route 107), on the right when traveling west on Airport Highway. Touch for map. This marker is located on the front grounds of the Swanton Township Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13410 Airport Highway, Swanton OH 43558, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birthplace of Alexander Drabik (approx. 7.4 miles away); The Oak Openings Regions (approx. 8.8 miles away); Archeology & Artifacts (approx. 8.9 miles away); Battle of Fallen Timbers (approx. 8.9 miles away); Partners in Preservation (approx. 8.9 miles away); Why Fight Here? (approx. 8.9 miles away); Unfair Negotiations (approx. 8.9 miles away); Early American Defeats (approx. 9 miles away).
 
Categories. EducationNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, May 22, 2016
3. Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton Marker
View of the marker situated on the front grounds of the Swanton Township Hall building.
Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, May 22, 2016
4. Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton Marker
View of the marker, looking east, along the roadway that was once known as the "Chicago Pike," but is today known as the "Airport Highway."
Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, May 22, 2016
5. Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton Marker
View of the marker, looking west, along the roadway that was once known as the "Chicago Pike," but is today known as the "Airport Highway."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement