Glendora in Camden County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ashbrook's Burial Ground
On this high bank along the Timber Creek was the Indian Village of
John Ashbrook in his will reserved
“…one whole acre where the burying place now is for the use
of the neighborhood.” Making this
the oldest known public burial ground in Camden County.
On the night of Oct. 22-23
Colonel Von Donop’s Hessian Brigade
camped on this hillside following the battle of Fort Mercer.
Among those interred here are the following and their families
First Settler-Assemblyman-“Ye High Sherife”-Freeholder.
Militiaman, Rev. War-Captain War 1812-“Ye collector of taxes”
William Zane, Esq.
Pres. Township Comm.-Presiding Officer Bd. of Freeholders-Justice
40 to 50 who died of wounds from the battle of Fort Mercer
names known only to God.
Location. 39° 50.384′ N, 75° 4.829′ W. Marker is in Glendora, New Jersey, in Camden County. Marker is at the intersection of Station Avenue and Melvin Avenue on Station Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glendora NJ 08029, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Clement's Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John the Evangelist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Gabreil Daveis Tavern (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jonas Cattell (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Chew Powell House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Glover Fulling Mill & Kings Run (approx. 2.7 miles away); Crystal Lake (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Story of the Peter Mott House (approx. 3 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War of 1812 • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 28, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.