Near Chadds Ford in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
—National Register of Historic Places —
of Historic Places
Chadds Ford Historical Society.
Location. 39° 52.423′ N, 75° 37.54′ W. Marker is near Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker can be reached from Baltimore Pike. Touch for map. This marker is at the ground next to the entry door landing. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6030 Baltimore Pike, Chadds Ford PA 19317, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Barnes-Brinton House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gradient (Maple Tree), 2015 (approx. 1.7 miles away); Miss Gratz, 1984 (approx. 1.7 miles away); Helen, 1989 (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gradient (River Walk), 2015 (approx. 1.7 miles away); R. B. Monument, 2004 (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Chads Springhouse (approx. 1.8 miles away); John Chads House (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chadds Ford.
Also see . . .
1. Barns-Brinton House ~ Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
2. Chadds Ford Historical Society ~ Barns-Brinton House Page (Submitted on May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
3. Brandywine ~ Barns-Brinton House. (Submitted on May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
1. Barns-Brinton House History
The Barns portion of the buildings name is for William Barns, a blacksmith who built this historic Flemish bond brick house in 1714 for use as a Tavern as well as his home. The foundation walls visible from the basement show several recesses that were used as cold rooms to keep food and beer from spoiling. Barns operated a portion of his house as an Inn and Tavern from 1722 until about 1729 or so. When William Barns died in 1731, he was purportedly deeply in debt to many of his neighbors.
After Barns death the property passed through a few owners until about 1753 when the house and some surrounding property was purchased by James Brinton, the Brinton portion of the buildings name. Brinton was the owner on September 11, 1777 when Hessian General Wilhelm von Knyphausen passed by en-route to Chadds Ford, at what would become the site of the Battle of Brandywine, during the Revolutionary War. The Brinton family maintained ownership of the house for over 100 years until selling it in 1859. The house then went
— Submitted May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.