Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Closing the Gap
To fill this gap, Stanley’s & Wood’s 4th A.C. divs. were moved S.E. from Buckhead. Crossing S. Fork Peachtree Cr. at Durand’s Mill, Wood’s div. was deployed W. on Rock Spring Rd.; Stanley’s, in the valley W. of here & Schofield’s 23 A.C. prolonged Stanley’s line southward. Sherman directed placement of these troops from his h’dq’rs at the crossroads July 20, 21.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-29.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 47.41′ N, 84° 20.319′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Briarcliff Road (Georgia Route 42) 0.1 miles north of University Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30306, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Ground (approx. 4th A.C. at Durand's Mill (approx. half a mile away); Cheatham's Salient (approx. 0.8 miles away); Stanley’s & Wood’s Sector (approx. 0.8 miles away); Durand's Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site: Judge James Paden House: Gen. J.D. Cox’s H’dq’rs (approx. one mile away); Alpha Delta Pi (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Williams Mill Rd. (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,317 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.