“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Trebell's Landing

Trebell's Landing Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, August 11, 2007
1. Trebell's Landing Marker
Inscription. Click to hear the inscription.  At Trebell's Landing on the James River a mile southwest of here, the artillery and stores of the American and French Armies were located in September 1781. They were then conveyed overland some six miles to the siege lines at Yorktown. The troops disembarked at landings near Williamsburg. During the next few weeks, the allied armies under Gen. George Washington and the comte de Rochambeau besieged the British army commanded by Gen. Charles Cornwallis until he surrendered on 19 Oct. 1781, effectively ending the Revolutionary War.
Erected by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number W-49.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Washington-Rochambeau Route marker series.
Location. 37° 12.664′ N, 76° 37.057′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker is on Pocahontas Trail (Virginia Route 60), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carter's Grove (here, next to this marker); Martin's Hundred (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Martin's Hundred Church (about 500 feet away); Community of Grove (approx. 0.8 miles away); Homestead by the Main Road (approx. 2.4 miles away); Master and Slaves (approx. 2.4 miles away); A Large Brick Kitchen (approx. 2.4 miles away); Largest and Most Valuable Estate in the County (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
Categories. MilitaryNotable EventsNotable PersonsWar, US Revolutionary
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 775 times since then and 23 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 24, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement