Ticonderoga in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
George Augustus Viscount Howe
the heroic gallantry and
His Majesty’s Forces
Killed near Trout Brook
two days before
the great battle of Carillon
July 6, 1758.
His death an irreparable loss
to the Army.
Beloved and honored
by the officers and men
of both the British
and American regiments.
The English Speaking Union
of the United States
Erected 1958 by United States of America.
Location. 43° 50.928′ N, 73° 23.91′ W. Marker is in Ticonderoga, New York, in Essex County. Marker is on Sandy Redoubt, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is along the entrance road to Fort Ticonderoga. Marker is in this post office area: Ticonderoga NY 12883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “The Black Watch” (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Battles Fought in this Vicinity (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The French Lines & Carillon Battlefield (approx. ¼ mile away); The Carillon Battlefield “The Black Watch” (approx. ¼ mile away); The French Lines (approx. ¼ mile away); Near this spot stood Montcalm (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hut Sites (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ticonderoga.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Ticonderoga National Historic Landmark. (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. The Battle of Ticonderoga 1758. An account of the battle that was fought just after the death of Lord Howe from BritishBattles.com. (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. Lord Howe’s Bones Found. Laborers on a Ticonderoga sewer strike his tombstone. New York Times article published October 11, 1889. (Submitted on July 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Military • Notable Persons • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,949 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.