Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Ballinger in Runnels County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

San Clemente Mission

(Site Located 10 Miles Southeast)

 
 
San Clemente Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 13, 2016
1. San Clemente Mission Marker
Inscription. The first mission known to have been established in Texas east of the Pecos River, San Clemente was a hastily built, two-room structure located on a hill about 17 mi. S. of present Ballinger. (Some historians place the site farther south, near Junction.) Although earlier than the Great Spanish Mission Movement, this was one of the first (1684) in Texas and was founded by Juan Dominguez de Mendoza and Fray Nicholas Lopez.
†††††Named for the San Clemente River (actually the Colorado), the mission was founded at the request of the Jumano Indians, who desired Christianity and the friendship of the Spanish. The building was probably constructed of logs, its lower story serving as a chapel and its upper story as a lookout post. Though they stayed only from March 15 to May 1, awaiting envoys from 48 tribes (bands), the Spaniards baptized many of their several thousand Indian allies.
Finally, being attacked by hostile Apaches, Mendoza returned with his men to El Paso six months after he had left. Although Mendoza did not know it, French explorer La Salle had landed on the Gulf Coast, 1684. This fact, plus Mendozaís report of seeing a French flag among the Indians quickly led to other Spanish expeditions being sent to chart the Texas wilderness.
 
Erected 1968 by Texas State Historical Survey
San Clemente Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 13, 2016
2. San Clemente Mission Marker
View to east from US 83
Committee. (Marker Number 4530.)
 
Location. 31° 38.637′ N, 99° 55.521′ W. Marker is near Ballinger, Texas, in Runnels County. Marker is on U.S. 83 half a mile from Farm to Market Road 2406, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ballinger TX 76821, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hoffman Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Colorado River Ferry Crossing (approx. 6.2 miles away); John S. Chisum (approx. 6.2 miles away); Abilene & Southern Depot (approx. 6.5 miles away); Charles H. Noyes (approx. 6.6 miles away); Ballinger (approx. 6.6 miles away); Runnels County Courthouse (approx. 6.7 miles away); Runnels County Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ballinger.
 
Also see . . .  San Clemente Mission. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on July 22, 2016.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraExplorationNative Americans
 
View to South on US 83 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 13, 2016
3. View to South on US 83
Marker is on left (east) side of highway
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement