Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Camp Chase

The Historic National Road in Ohio

 
 
Camp Chase Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 5, 2016
1. Camp Chase Marker
close up of marker
Inscription. Camp Chase was named in honor of Salmon P. Chase, former governor of Ohio and Secretary of the Treasury in President Abraham Lincolnís Cabinet.

In July 1861, a small prison was erected at Camp Chase to handle the influx of political prisoners or disloyal citizens. The prison was enlarged to accommodate Confederate prisoners of war in the fall of 1861. By March 1862 the prison consisted of three separate prisons and over 1,200 prisoners, mostly officers captured from Fort Henry and Fort Donelson in Tennessee. The prison population continued to increase and numbered 9,045 in February 1865, but overcrowding, food shortages and poor sanitation resulted in outbreaks of typhoid fever and other diseases resulting in many deaths.

None of the original Camp Chase exists today except for the cemetery. The Camp Chase Confederate Cemetery is located south of here on Sullivant Avenue two blocks west of Hague Avenue and contains over 2,100 Confederate soldierís graves.

Some 25,000 Confederate captives and over 150,000 Union troops, along with four future presidents (Andrew Johnson, Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield, and William McKinley), passed through Camp Chase during the Civil War.
 
Erected 2014 by The Ohio National Road Association, Inc. and The Hadler and Peppe Families
Camp Chase Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 5, 2016
2. Camp Chase Marker
full view of marker, in front of Masonic Lodge
.
 
Location. 39° 57.276′ N, 83° 4.719′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on West Broad Street (Old National Road) (U.S. 40) west of South Roys Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in front of West Gate Lodge F & AM No 623. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2925 West Broad Street, Columbus OH 43204, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Camp Chase (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Chase Confederate Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Chase (approx. 0.8 miles away); The National Road (approx. 0.9 miles away); Maynard E. Sensenbrenner (approx. 1.4 miles away); 166th Infantry Regiment (approx. 1.8 miles away); Franklin County Civil War Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles away); Shrum Indian Mound (approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesForts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
Camp Chase Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 5, 2016
3. Camp Chase Marker
marker can be seen at a distance, from the driveway
Bird's eye view of Camp Chase near Columbus, Ohio. National Archives G4084.C6:2C3A3 186- .R8 image. Click for full size.
By A. Ruger - Ehrgott, Forbriger & Co., circa 1865
4. Bird's eye view of Camp Chase near Columbus, Ohio. National Archives G4084.C6:2C3A3 186- .R8
Recent research has determined that the site of Camp Chaseís main gate was adjacent to the present West Gate Masonic Lodge on West Broad Street, pert of the National Road in Columbus. The original stockade, Prison No. 1, encompassed only ½ acre and accommodated 450 prisoners. In November 1861, Prison No. 2 was built, adding 3 more 100-foot by 15-foot barracks. Prison No. 3 was built in March 1862 on an additional 3 acres.
Prison interior, Camp Chase, ca. 1861-1865 image. Click for full size.
By Manfred M. Griswold, circa 1865
5. Prison interior, Camp Chase, ca. 1861-1865
The above photograph shows Confederate prisoners assembled outside their barracks at the camp.
Camp Chase image. Click for full size.
National Archives, circa 1865
6. Camp Chase
Above is a view of the rows of barrack buildings at the camp.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 1, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement